A Walk Down Memory Lane
Dr. Leland Grady had a vision. He created an opera house for the people of Wilson from his two-story Nash Street office building. While there were other theaters downtown, the Wilson Theater was THE downtown showpiece for the citizens of Wilson when it opened in fall 1919. The theater featured a beautiful palladium exterior, plush seats, brass railings, and an elaborately detailed. gold-painted plaster interior. It was truly a sight to behold.
During its early years, the theater served as a performing stage for traveling shows of vaudeville, singing acts, magicians, minstrels and plays. Vaudeville entertained the entire family with a wide variety of acts designed to replace their daily concerns with fun, fascination, and fantasy. In addition, local events, including talent and fashion shows, made the theater a center for the town's cultural activity. During the early years, sexy burlesque acts were also popular with Wilson’s citizens.On nights when there were no live performances, the theater was in demand for silent movies. Talkies didn't make an appearance until several years later around 1930, but a piano played in sync with the action on the screen and kept the 800-seat audience on the edges of their seats. Like most of America, Wilson flocked to movie theater, and the Wilson Theater was no exception. It was a busy place through the war years of the 1940’s and into the 1960's as Wilsonians lined Nash Street to see their favorite stars of stage and screen. Wilsonians may recall with nostalgia donating bottle caps or soup labels as admission for seeing a movie, as the theater was home to silver screen stars including Ava Gardner and Cary Grant, 3D movies and Saturday morning cartoons, serials and newsreels. Although met with much disapproval, the Wilson Theater showed scandalous X-rated films for many years in the early 1970s.
The City of Wilson purchased the Wilson Theater in 1984 and organized the Wilson Community Theater, Inc. Many felt that the theater should be restored to its original splendor and that it still served a necessary role in the community. Under the direction of President Woody Harrison, a theater board managed the facility's use and restoration. For the next fourteen years under Executive Director Carol Blake and many volunteers, the theater improved with such basic necessities as updated restrooms, heating, and air conditioning systems. The renovation project was well under way when, in 1995, the Theater Board and the Arts Council of Wilson merged expressly for the purpose of seeing the project to fruition. Clearscapes, Inc., a Raleigh architectural firm, was hired and the fundraising and drawing of plans commenced in earnest.
Edna Boykin led the way with her generosity. However, many groups and individuals share the credit for making the Wilson Theater renovation project successful and transforming it into the Edna Boykin Cultural Center. The Department of Cultural Resources, under the leadership of Betty McCain; the City of Wilson and its manager, city council and mayor; the Arts Council Board Members and staff; and many individuals have been generous with time and money.
Several companies and citizens of Wilson began this historic undertaking including restoration of the beautiful plaster details throughout the facility, refurbishing and adding to the number of permanent theater seats. The new plans included the addition of dressing rooms, a stage extension and loading dock, a new marquee and 35mm projection equipment.
Workers restored and transitioned the soda and jewelry shops into a lobby, saving some old brick walls on either side. The walls, amazingly, still showed remains of old movie posters and advertisements from an earlier era and remains intact to this day as a reminder of its history.
In January ,1998 the Edna Boykin Cultural Center opened its doors in honor of Ms. Boykin's lifetime contributions and service to the arts in Wilson. In the lobby, Dr & Mrs. Mark G. Hooper named the Hammond Gallery in honor of Dr. Robert Hammond, which featured its first visual arts gallery exhibits. On opening night, January 31, 1998, Ms. Edna Boykin and Mrs. Eleanor Hammond were among those in attendance to celebrate with The Dorsey Brothers Orchestra and The Platters.
Courtesy of Steve Brown(Wilson Movie Memories) & Wilson County Public Library
Site content created by: Crissy O